Medtech Marketing and the Mountains

Rolling range

Marketing medical devices and products is a challenging and tricky job. Oftentimes the medical products I promote help save lives or assist medical professionals with their surgeries and procedures, but can be a dry subject to broach. It takes an enormous amount of creativity to make medical merchandise look exciting enough to entice a client to want to learn more (or ideally) purchase the product, no matter which marketing methods are used.

Recently, the Medtech distribution company I work for adopted a marketing campaign to spread the good word about the products we offer using social media. This is a daunting task since we have to start from scratch. Not only does starting a social media marketing campaign require substantial time and effort, the planning and effective execution of ideas and initiatives tend to have a brain-draining effect. The mind is always on trying to tweak a proposal, think up the next, best slogan or how to expand brand awareness.

I am always willing to learn techniques and tips on how to make our social media marketing campaign better, and sometimes I overwhelm myself with information overload. My weekends are usually filled with chores and homework and marketing campaigns, and this weekend was no different. However, while in the mountains this past Saturday, I learned a valuable lesson concerning social media and Medtech marketing. This is the story about that lesson.


Early Saturday morning, slivers of sunshine shone through the trees as we drove up the hill to my Conway NH mountain dwelling, brightening the day enough to unload a heavily-packed pick-up. After the 2-hour ride from my Massachusetts home, I was eager to get out and get started. The agenda was pregnant with many tasks, including yard clean-up, anti-freezing our pipes and getting the place ready for winter, not to mention the marketing campaign I needed to work on that night. I dropped out of the truck burdened with what lay ahead while my husband whistled and cheerfully undid rope-ties and bungee cords.

Billy 4-wheeling

My dog jumped from the backseat of the truck to sniff out the property and hunt down fragrant possibilities. The supplies needed to perform our duties were set on the picnic table in our front yard while the food and warm clothing we brought was taken inside. Lastly, our 4-Wheeler was driven off and gassed up ready to transport firewood to the pit. So began our day.

Happy Zebo by the Saco

First-things first: our dog needed to trek a block away to the Saco River to dip into the cold, rushing water. This has become a habit since he was a puppy and barely tall enough to swim. Ooooh, the swish and feel of the river water made my dog smile (yes, smile), and the joy of his happiness made us laugh out-loud. Ten minutes turned into twenty, then sixty, and before we knew it, more than hour and ½ went by. I snapped a few shots with my camera, soaked in the warmth of the sun (which had now risen over the tree line), and sat arm-in-arm with my husband on a drift-log abandoned on the beach. I felt better already, less stressed and lighter. We both knew we had work to do and we reluctantly went back to the house with the intent of getting our chores finished.

Camp Fire

Once back at camp we started a fire to dry off our dog and burn the trash. With the temperatures now rising to an out-of-the-norm range of 50 degrees on an early November morning, we were tempted to abandon our chores and take the 4-Wheeler for a scoot around the trails. We promised ourselves that we will take advantage of the empty grove once the yard was cleaned and home winterized, but a small jaunt wouldn’t hurt, would it? We let the fire burn down and secured our pet before succumbing to the call of the 4-Wheeler. Fighting against guilty urges for abandoning our original plan, we quickly packed a picnic lunch and headed off down the groves trails and out to the expansive fields behind our property.


As each minute passed, our guilt became a distant memory. The 4-Wheeler whizzed through the tress and over green fields. The sun glared down heating up to an unseasonal 70 degrees. It was a treat be able to strip down to a t-shirt and jeans in November in the mountains. My face beamed with delight as we took turns racing through the woods, jumping over berms and getting air, screaming “Wahoo!” like a kid.

Secret hiding place

Finding a resting-spot was easy since we had (what seemed like) the whole mountain to ourselves since we have been riding for a few hours without seeing another human. We chose a sunny spot at the edge of a field with the beautiful White Mountains in the background and the Saco River at our side.

Lunch wagon!

We ate, drank a few beers, laughed, kissed, told stories we both heard many times to each other and laughed some more. I snapped a few shots of the scenery and of us and embraced the moment. What joy!

Milk pods, river beds and grassy hills.

By the time we made it back to our home, our dog was ready for another swim in the river. We decided to take him back down to the water and set up on the beach so he can be as happy as we were. For the first time all day, we ran into other people. Our neighbors were also up North to winterize their camp, and they had two energetic pups our dog engaged with, much to his delight. Seeing my 10-year old dog play like we was a young puppy was just blissful.

With the sun setting quicker than we wanted, the air cooling off quicker than expected and the beers disappearing quicker than we anticipated, we decided to get back to the house and settle in for the night. We trudged back to the house, made a fat-belly dinner, ate like kings and made plans for doing our chores on Sunday. The sun finally set behind naked trees and called to the on-coming night. Our bodies were simply exhausted from the day’s activities, but our minds were (oddly) completely refreshed! We decided to get to bed early and start at dawn in the morning to deal with the tasks at hand. And we did just that.

View from camp

What does all this have to do with Medtech marketing and social media?  Absolutely nothing! But don’t fret, I did say that I learned a valuable lesson, and I did. When one is over-worked, stressed out and has what seems like an insurmountable amount of work to do, sometimes a bit of goofing off does wonders for the soul. We did our chores on Sunday with vigor, I worked on my marketing campaign with a fresh outlook, and I am now writing this blog to show just how much a little unplanned joy can change attitudes and mindsets.

I truly believe that if we did our chores on that warm November Saturday instead of taking time to enjoy the day, I would not be writing this blog, I would not attack my marketing work with a clear mind and I wouldn’t be ready for the week’s work ahead. So the lesson is to take time to enjoy the simple things, like 4-Wheeling, hanging out with your dog and beers by the river, before tackling the challenging tasks in your life, like Medtech marketing using social media. Good lesson indeed!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s