I love avocados. They are my favorite fruit. Creamy and buttery with a subtle but complex earthy flavor. Delicious. When I was younger, I used get so excited when the dark, ripe fruits were available in my local market, after waiting months during the winter absence. Oh the joy of those first few fabulous fruits of the season. That was twenty years ago and a lot has changed since then. Today, thanks to the year-round growing season in Mexico and the creation of the Haas Avocado Board in 2002, these tasty little darlings are available to the average shopper any time of year.
Although I am a big fan of the succulent fruit, not everyone enjoys eating them. It has been a challenge creating new ways of incorporating the wonderful avocado into my weekly meal plans that are appealing and tasty. Usually avocados are relegated to the role of guacamole side-kick or chip-dip. The new animated commercial from the AvocadosFromMexico.com created a cute dancing avocado TV commercial to show that avocados can be eaten for BREAKFAST:
Now, I have been eating avocados for breakfast for many years, like millions of people world-wide. But for those who never thought of eating avocados in anything else but guacamole, this sticks-in-your-mind, pretty ditty sends home the message to try something simple like avocados on wheat toast with a little salt for breakfast. It is just wonderful marketing.
At the end of the 15 second spot, the call to action is to visit avocadosfrommexico.com website, which I did to check out their other marketing efforts. They have nutritional information, extensive recipe listing, prep tips and delicious celebrity guest shots (read: Mario Lopez), all promoting the greatness that is the avocado.
If this short but sweet TV spot can change one person’s mind to try an avocado, either for breakfast or by itself, then it has done its job. I personally think that this type of marketing will broaden the reach and awareness of the amazing avocado, and sharpen focus on the Avocados from Mexico brand. Bravo avocado!
I was motivated to write about the effective ad and post my favorite breakfast recipe in solidarity with other avocado lovers everywhere. These easy to make Popeyes are delicious and good for you. ..give them a try!
Scrumptious Avo Popeyes
- Per person:
- 3 slices fresh, ripe avocado
- 2 slices cooked bacon (preferably maple flavor
- 1 slice of your favorite bread
- 1 large egg, 1 slice ripe tomato (preferably plum)
- A few baby spinach leaves
- Butter spray
- With each piece of bread, remove a half-dollar size hole (set aside holes for another use).
- Put some spray in a skillet and turn up to medium heat.
- Put the bread (with a hole in it) in the skillet to toast.
- While the bread is toasting, crack open an egg and gently drop it into the hole in the bread.
- Once bread is toasted, gently flip over to cook the egg on the other side.
- Remove from the skillet when the egg is done and place on a plate, egg side up.
- On top of the egg, put a few baby spinach leaves.
- On top of the spinach, place a slice of tomato.
- On top of the tomato, put 2 slices of bacon.
- And the best part…place 3 slices of avocado on top of the whole Popeye.
- Eat and Enjoy!